Wanna follow this train wreck of a cookin and fixin things blog?

Want to follow this blog about a everyday man doing ordinary things?? Type your email address in the white box below and I will have my social media manager shoot you new posts! BTW, I am looking for a social media manager. I better add that I have a limited budget for this position. Actually, it would be nice if you could pay me.

Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Meatballs of Mexicans

My beautiful wife loves Mexican food so much that I have created, in our kitchen, a world we call Erico.  For those of you who don't understand, it's my spin on food from south of the border.

When she sent me a recipe for Mexican meatball soup, I was a little hesitant. I'd never had Mexican soup--it's always chips and salsa to lead any Mexican meal!

After looking at several recipes on the enternet, my nerves settled and a journey began.  Some of my favorite journeys are those short ones that go by so quickly so you don't even remember it - you are just there!  After going back and looking at the recipes, I couldn't find where it said to start with 3 shots of tequila, but it was a great start to the evening... 




Recipe, adapted from Real Simple magazine

What one will need to gather:
Ground turkey 1 lb. - or any other ground meat
Tortilla chips
Cilantro
Salsa
Avocado
Green onions
Bread crumbs
Vegetable stock
Egg - not pictured
Cumin
Paprika
Salt and pepper

Ok, I really didn't have 3 shots of tequila but this soup is so easy that you could!  We start by making some mini meatballs.  Get a large bowl and toss in the meat, chopped cilantro, sliced green onions, egg, bread crumbs and season with salt, pepper, cumin and paprika.  Mix it all up and make little meatballs.


Get your large soup pan and pour in the salsa along with two to three cups of the broth.  I blend this up a bit with my handheld blender because I can.  I really like that blender!  Get it going over med-high heat and add some cilantro.  While that is cooking, heat some oil in a skillet and brown the mini balls.  Might have to do a couple batches, but just don't overcrowd the pan. 

After browning, add the meatballs and pan drippings.  I really think that the drippings from the skillet add some depth to this soup.  Continue to cook until heated, garnish and dive in.  We like to top with sour cream, green onions, avocado and a couple chips.



My wife loved this soup, but then again she loves anything with cilantro in it!  Really, it is a very simple soup that you can make yours.  Personally, that's the reason I like to cook - you can make whatever you like however you like it! Real Simple is real nice, Clark, real nice.

Eat - Drink - Love

No comments:

Post a Comment